The Salon Assistant is responsible for preparing pets for full service grooming. The Salon Assistant assists with checking guests in and out and supporting the groomers as needed. In addition to the primary role of bathing the pets, the Assistant will be expected to perform duties pertaining to salon maintenance, caring for the pets, and providing outstanding customer service. The Assistant must be on time and punctual as the groomers are dependent on pets being available for grooming in a timely manner.
This position is ideal for someone interested in becoming a professional groomer or someone who has already begun professional grooming training. There is opportunity for advancement at The Animal Den as this is a growing full service pet salon.
- Grooming and Resort guest bathing and drying.
- Implement safe, comfortable, and effective bathing and drying techniques.
- Knowledge and use of salon products. Understanding their use and any precautions associated with them.
- Follow oral and written instructions in detail.
- Know the signs of possible problems with guests and report any issues to the groomer.
- Brushing groomed pets.
- Adorning groomed pets with finishing touches such as bandannas or bows.
- Assisting the grooming process such as holding and lifting pets.
- Handling animal behavior in a safe and humane manner.
- Know the signs of skin disease, infection, illness, and heatstroke. Report any findings to the groomer.
- Guest exercises as needed prior to bathing.
- Walking salon guests for their relief breaks.
- Ear cleaning and oral care.
- Pet nail trims and dremels.
- Customer service while checking salon guests in and out.
- Checking for fleas
- Discussing desired groom with clients
- Completing work orders
- Acquiring pet owner signatures on groom contracts and release forms
- Salon equipment maintenance.
- Bath master system maintenance
- Refilling supplies, determine need for restock or reorder
- Salon cleaning.
- Den cleaning and maintenance
- Floor sweeping
- Tubs, shower, and bathing area cleaning and maintenance
- Preparations for next day’s work.
- Assessing schedules
- Preparing supplies
- Communicating with other staff
- Wear designated uniform and always maintain a neat, professional image. Wear closed toe, non skid shoes.
- Other duties as needed.
This position will work 6:45 AM to 2:00 PM or as needed. The days of the week might vary. Applicants who cannot work weekends need not apply as some weekend shifts are required. Applicants who are not available to work during the upcoming holiday seasons need not apply as the holidays are our busiest time and employees will be expected to work.
- Currently enrolled in a college curriculum or graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum college GPA of 3.25 is required.
- Able to move or lift animals and/or equipment up to and in excess of 40 pounds.
- Able to tolerate conditions associated with grooming salon work including: cleaning of urine and feces, able to handle exposure to blood, wounds, various pet bodily conditions, constant exposure to water and pet hair, and the use of disinfectants.
- Self motivated, independent worker.
- Excellent time management skills and able to work under pressure.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Good decision and problem solving skills.
- Good organization and planning skills.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Demonstrated flexibility and planning skills.
- Must be able to recognize through sight and sound an animal in distress or discomfort or exhibiting symptoms of illness or disease.
All employees must be able to interact in a professional manner with each other and with customers.
If you have a resume, feel free to upload using the link below. Thank you for your interest in The Animal Den